This page is for our family and friends around the world! We want to help you all keep up with our latest plans, ideas and new developments regarding the wedding. We will be posting information about the wedding, venues, the city and so much more!

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Engagement Bliss!!

This, my first post, will be to introduce the Bride ( myself ) and the Groom , to share a little about how we met and what lead up to our impending nuptials! I am hoping that through this, and all of our posts, you will get to know us better and feel that much more a part of our journey.

First things first, I will share with you how Shawn and I met.

Shawn and I met through an online dating site ( surprised? ) a few years ago while we were both on opposite ends of the country. I was finishing my degree in the Vancouver area and Shawn was on leave visiting his family out on the east coast of Canada.  Three months later we had our first date while we were both in Edmonton. Date choice? Steak house and the shooting range. I knew when he told me the plan for the night that I had found my kind of man! We had a great time and a few months later when I moved back to the city we started dating.

Fast forward a few years and Shawn ended his career with the Canadian Forces and I began mine with the RCMP. A year later we found our way to living in the Northwest Territories so that I could accept a northern posting. Life in the north has challenged us, tempered us and strengthened us.  To celebrate our new life and having survived our first winter up here we booked a holiday to  Ireland this past May. It was a dream vacation, years in the making. 

Unbeknownst to me, Shawn had cooked up a scheme with many of you ( you know who you are ) to propose while we were on holiday. The country rejuvenated us from the cold and isolating winter we'd just left, little did I know that our trip would bring so much more.  The best day of the trip turned out to be the very last. On our way to finish up some shopping Shawn suggested we take a detour through Marion Square Park. Shawn stopped me  in a a little private nook off the main path. He got down on one knee right then and there in the glade and proposed. Being my typical self, my first response was a surprised   " no freekin way ". As you all know, my real answer was yes! 

I think I can easily speak for both of us when I say that we were each what the other needed when we met and that remains true to this day. God has blessed us with a love that has acted as a balm to past hurts , a love that supports and a love that carries us through life and all of its capriciousness. 

We are both so excited to be able to share with our family and friends the story of how we met and became engaged. In the posts to come I promise we will give you all the 'goods' on the wedding as we decide on them; venues, hotel bookings, how to get there, what to do, etc, etc!!

No comments:

Post a Comment